ShareFacebook Twitter AddThis
Here is how to prepare a delicious beer-braised pork to be served on creamy polenta, topped with shallots and carrot coulis.
For the meat
- Peppercorns 1 tsp
- Caraway seeds 1 tbsp
- Allspice berries 1/2 tsp
- Clove 1
- Marjoram 1 tsp, dried
- Bacon 1 1/5 kg, fat scored with a knife
- Carrot 2 medium, roughly diced
- Parsley 100 g, peeled and roughly diced
- Garlic 2 cloves, roughly diced
- Onion 2, roughly diced
- Pork 400 g, bones, washed in cold water
- Vegetable oil 1 tbsp
- Meat stock 250 ml
- Beer 500 ml, dark
For the polenta
For the coulis
For the shallots
- Preparation time
- Cooking time
- Recipe category Main course
- Recipe yield 4
- Heat the oven to 220°C (200°C in a fan oven), gas 7.
- Grind 1 tsp salt with the peppercorns, caraway seeds, allspice berries, clove and the marjoram in a mortar. Rub the mixture into the meat.
- Grease the bottom of a roasting tin with oil and place the meat in it with the fat side up.
- Add the vegetables and the bones and roast for about 20-30 minutes.
- Then add the stock and some beer.
- Reduce the heat to 180°C (160°C in a fan oven), gas 4 and braise in the oven for another 90 minutes.
- Baste occasionally with some beer.
To make the polenta
- Place the stock and the milk in a pot with 1/2 tsp salt. Bring to the boil and the gradually add the semolina.
- Cook on a low heat according to the directions on the packet.
- Stir occasionally so the mixture does not stick. Stir in the butter and season with salt and ground black pepper.
To make the coulis
- Cook the carrots in the stock, then cover and leave to simmer for around 15 minutes more until soft.
- Puree finely and if necessary reduce slightly to thicken. Season with salt and sugar.
- Fry the shallots slowly in hot oil for around 10 minutes until golden brown.
- Season with salt and ground black pepper.
- Remove the bones from the roasting dish and puree the gravy.
- If necessary reduce slightly and season with salt and ground black pepper.
- Cut the beer-braised pork into pieces and serve on top of the polenta.
- Add the carrot coulis and drizzle some gravy around it.
- Serve the rest separately.
- Arrange the shallots on top of the meat and serve sprinkled with chives.