ShareFacebook Twitter AddThis
Just follow the simple steps below to prepare this beef fillet filled with kale, almonds, Feta and Parmesan: a classy recipe perfect for a special occasion.
For the beef
For the parsley sauce
- Preparation time
- Cooking time
- Recipe category Main course
- Recipe yield 8
For the beef fillet filled with kale, almonds, Feta and Parmesan
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (180° fan) | gas 6.
- Line a roasting tray with a trivet large enough to hold the beef.
- Using a long sharp knife, make 3 cm | 1.25" incision in the middle of the beef fillet that runs along its length; you can also use a sharpening steel to help bore the hole if you don't have a long enough knife.
- Blanch the kale in a large saucepan of salted boiling water for 1 minute.
- Drain and refresh in iced water before drying thoroughly and chopping.
- Combine with the almonds, Feta, Parmesan, 1 tbsp olive oil, and seasoning in a food processor.
- Pulse a few times until the mixture comes together like a stuffing.
- Pack it into the hole in the beef and then rub the outside of the fillet with the remaining olive oil. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Tie the fillet at 2.5 cm | 1" intervals with kitchen string.
- Sit on the trivet and roast for 35-45 minutes until the beef registers 60°C on a meat thermometer for medium-rare meat.
- Cook for longer for more well-done meat.
- Remove from the oven and leave to rest, covered loosely with aluminium foil, as you prepare the sauce.
For the sauce
- Melt the butter in a saucepan set over a medium heat.
- Whisk in the flour and cook for about 1 minute until blonde in colour.
- Whisk in the milk in a slow, steady stream until you have a smooth, slightly thickened sauce.
- Bring to a simmer, whisking frequently, and then reduce the heat and cook for a further 4-5 minutes until thickened.
- Whisk in the egg yolk and then the lemon juice and parsley.
- Continue to cook for a few minutes before seasoning to taste.
- To serve, cut the beef fillet into slices.
- Serve on a bed of the kale with the sauce on the side.
- Season with more salt and pepper, if desired.