ShareFacebook Twitter AddThis
Check out this Mexican tortilla soup: a hot and delightful chicken recipe by actress, model and cook Eva Longoria!
For the soup
- Tomato 6 each, whole, Roma kind
- Olive oil 125 ml, divided
- Salt To taste
- Onion 1, medium, diced
- Celery 1/2, diced
- Chili pepper 2, diced, Pasilla and Jalapeño variety
- Garlic 50 g, chopped
- Chicken stock 1,5 l, hearty
- Lime juice 125 ml
- Cayenne pepper 2,5 g
- Chili powder 5 g
- Cumin seeds 5 g, ground
- Paprika 7,5 g
- Bay 1 leaf
- Chicken 2 breasts, boneless, cut into strips
- Coriander 30 ml, fresh leaves
- Pepper To taste
- Preparation time
- Cooking time
- Recipe category First course
- Recipe yield 4
- Recipe cuisine Mexican
How To Make a Tasty Tortilla Soup
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. In a bowl, toss tomatoes with half the oil, 5 g salt, and a pinch of black pepper.
3. Spread on a baking pan and roast until light brown, 25 to 30 minutes.
4. While tomatoes are roasting, in a stockpot over medium heat, sauté onion, celery, peppers, and garlic in remaining oil.
5. Stir frequently until soft and translucent.
6. To stockpot add chicken stock, lime juice, cayenne, chili powder, cumin, paprika, and bay leaf.
7. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
8. Simmer 20 minutes.
9. Remove roasted tomatoes from oven (peel should be falling off), and add to broth.
10. Add chicken-breast strips and simmer 10 minutes.
11. Using an immersion hand blender, or in batches in a food processor or blender, blend soup until smooth.
12. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve piping hot in large bowls, garnished with chopped avocado, tortilla chips, chopped jalapeños, and sour cream.
Other suggestions for garnish include diced red onion, chopped coriander, salsa verde, sliced radishes, and cooked, diced chicken.
Adjust spices and seasonings to your taste.
This recipe is taken from Eva's Kitchen: Cooking with Love for Family and Friends, by Eva Longoria, published by Clarkson Potter