ShareFacebook Twitter AddThis
A delicious eggplant moussaka recipe, even tastier using sheep's milk cheese: find out how to prepare the traditional Greek moussaka recipe.
- Olive oil 4 tbsp
- Aubergines (eggplant), diced 400 g
- Onions, diced 2
- Minced beef 400 g
- Tomatoes, peeled and diced 3
- Dry white wine 100 ml
- Parsley, finely chopped 3 sprigs
- Dried oregano 1/2 tsp
- Breadcrumbs 40 g
- Freshly grated Graviera cheese or Gruyère 60 g
- Butter 2 tbsp
- Flour 2 tbsp
- Milk 400 ml
- Nutmeg, freshly grated
- Lemon juice 2 tsp
- Egg 1
- Sheep's cheese, crumbled 100 g
- Preparation time
- Cooking time
- Recipe category First course
- Recipe yield 4
- Recipe cuisine Greek
1. Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a pan and fry the aubergine (eggplants) until light brown.
2. Pat dry with kitchen paper.
3. Fry the onions in the remaining oil.
4. Stir in the meat and fry until all the liquid has evaporated.
5. Stir in the tomatoes, white wine, salt, a pinch of sugar and cinnamon and ground black pepper.
6. Cover and braise on a medium heat for 5 min.
7. Add the parsley and oregano and braise for a further 5 min, then leave to cool.
8. Heat the oven to 200°C (180°C in a fan oven), gas 6.
9. Add the breadcrumbs (set aside 2 tbsp) and half the cheese to the meat mixture.
10. Heat the butter in a pot and stir in the flour.
11. Gradually add the milk and bring to the boil.
12. Cook for a good 4 min on a low heat, stirring continuously.
13. Season with salt, ground black pepper, nutmeg and lemon juice and leave to cool.
14. Beat the egg and stir into the sauce along with the remaining cheese.
15. Brush 4 ramekins with butter and sprinkle with the remaining breadcrumbs.
16. Place half the aubergine in the ramekins, add the meat mixture and top with the remaining aubergine and the sauce.
17. Sprinkle with the sheep's cheese and bake for around 35 min.
18. Knock out onto plates and serve immediately.