ShareFacebook Twitter AddThis
Looking for new soup ideas? Try this cold melon and pepper soup perfect for summer.
- Lentils 300 g, yellow
- Vegetable stock 2250 ml
- Apricots 150 g, dried organic, chopped
- Extra-virgin olive oil 2 tablespoons
- Onion 1 large, thinly sliced
- Bell pepper 1 red and 1 yellow, seeded and finely diced
- Tomatoes 300 g, fresh, diced
- Parika 1 tablespoon
- Cinnamon 1/2 teaspoon
- Cardamom 1/4 teaspoon, ground
- Cayenne pepper 1/4 teaspoon
- Kosher salt to taste
- Melon 1 medium Cantaloupese seded and scooped into melon balls
- Shrimps 55 g, baby, cooked and chopped
- Basil 2 tablespoons, fresh, chopped
- Preparation time
- Cooking time
- Recipe category First course
- Recipe yield 8
How to prepare a delicious cold melon and pepper soup
- Rinse lentils in a strainer under cold running water for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Remove any stones or stems.
- Combine lentils and stock in a medium-sized pot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat.
- Simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Add apricots; simmer another 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat.
- Add onion and peppers.
- Sauté 5 minutes or until just softened. Add tomatoes, spices and salt.
- Cover and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer 8 to 10 minutes.
- Then, stir vegetable mixture into cooked lentils; simmer 10 minutes to blend flavours.
- Cool 30 minutes, then cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- When ready to serve, divide cantaloupe balls among chilled serving bowls; ladle soup to cover the melon and garnish with chopped shrimp and basil.