ShareFacebook Twitter AddThis
Learn how to make traditional Jiaozi, the Chinese dumplings filled with chicken and prawn, commonly eaten in China and other parts of Asia.
For the dough
For the filling
For the dipping sauce
- Preparation time
- Cooking time
- Recipe category First course
- Recipe yield 8
- Recipe cuisine Chinese
How to make chicken and prawn jiaozi
- Sift the flour into a large bowl and add the boiling water and salt.
- Mix with chopsticks, adding a little more water as you go, then when the mixture is cool enough, mix with your hands until you have a smooth dough.
- Knead the dough on a floured surface until smooth then place in a clean bowl, cover with a cloth and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the filling.
- It is important that all the ingredients for the filling are chopped or minced very finely so they hold together and the jiaozi don't split.
- Place all the ingredients in a bowl and stir well in one direction only until all the ingredients are well integrated.
- Mix together all the ingredients for the dipping sauce and set aside.
- Turn the dough onto a floured board, knead until smooth then divide into two pieces.
- Roll each piece into a cylinder about 2.5cm / 1" diameter and cut each cylinder into 12 pieces.
- Take each piece and flatten it into a circle about 6cm / 2 1/2" diameter.
- Place about a tablespoon of the filling in the centre of the circle and moisten the rim of the dough with a little water.
- Bring the sides of the dough together and seal, taking care not to split the dough.
- Gently crimp the sealed dough with your fingers and set aside.
- Repeat with the rest of the dough and the filling.
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil and cook the dumplings in batches for five minutes or until they float to the surface.
- Remove from the pan very carefully using a slotted spoon and keep warm until ready to serve.
- Alternatively, steam in a lightly oiled steamer for 15 minutes or until the filling is cooked through.
- Serve the jiaozi dumplings with the dipping sauce alongside.