ShareFacebook Twitter AddThis
Here is how to prepare the delicious traditional Japanese sweets made with rice flour and beans, that hat has been enjoyed in Japan for centuries.
For the filling
For the dough
- Preparation time
- Cooking time
- Recipe category Dessert
- Recipe yield 8
- Recipe cuisine Japanese
How to prepare delicious Japanese mochi
- Soak the beans overnight in plenty of cold water.
- Next day (after at least 12 hours), bring fresh water to the boil and cook the beans for 1-1.5 hours until quite soft.
- Drain, add the sugar and a pinch of salt and return to the a low heat, stirring for approx. 5 minutes.
- Then puree the mixture and let cool.
- Mix the flour, sugar, matcha and mint in a bowl.
- Stir the cold water in gradually, one spoonful at a time, using a dough scraper, until the dough is a smooth white paste which drops slowly from the dough scraper.
- Place the dough in a metal bowl and cook for approx. 15 minutes in a covered pan over steam.
- Meanwhile, shape 6 equal-sized balls from the bean paste and press slightly flat.
- When the dough is ready, stir it thoroughly and place on a surface sprinkled with cornflour.
- Sprinkle the dough with cornflour, shape into a roll and cut into 6 equal pieces.
- Roll the hot dough in cornflour once more and carefully roll each piece until flat, the size of the palm of a hand.
- Pat to remove superfluous flour.
- Place a bean ball onto each piece of dough.
- Wrap the dough around the filling and press firmly to seal.
- Place the mochi on a plate to cool, with the seam underneath.