ShareFacebook Twitter AddThis
Discover how to make these decadent deep fried Indian donuts soaked in a sugar syrup and garnished with rose petals.
- Preparation time
- Cooking time
- Recipe category Dessert
- Recipe yield 4
- Recipe cuisine Indian
To make the syrup
- Heat the sugar in 300 ml water on a medium/low heat until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add the cardamom pods and simmer for a further 2 minutes.
- Set aside.
To prepare the gulab jamun
- Mix the milk powder, baking powder, flour and semolina with approx. 100 ml milk.
- Knead into a pliable dough. If necessary add a little more milk.
- Divide the dough into 24 small balls and cover with a damp tea towel.
- Heat the oil - you can tell when it is hot enough because bubble will appear on a wooden spoon held in the fat.
- Fry the balls for 2-4 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove with a draining spoon and place on kitchen paper to dry.
- Add the rose water to the cool syrup.
- Place the fried dough balls in the syrup and steep for at least 30 minutes - if not overnight.
- Serve the balls on plates with some of the syrup and garnish with pistachios and rose petals.