ShareFacebook Twitter AddThis
Looking for new gluten free dessert ideas? Try this sweet ricotta cake with a soft and delicious Mascarpone and blood orange topping.
For the cake
- Preparation time
- Cooking time
- Recipe category Dessert
- Recipe yield 8
For the gluten free ricotta cake
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160° fan) | 350F | gas 4.
- Grease and line a 20 cm | 8" springform cake tin with greaseproof paper.
- Combine the flour mix, cornflour, sugar, baking powder, xanthan gum, and salt in a large mixing bowl, stirring well.
- Beat together the eggs, milk, ricotta, and oil in a measuring jug.
- Add to the dry ingredients and stir until a rough batter forms; it shouldn't be totally smooth.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared tin.
- Rap a few times on a flat surface to settle the batter.
- Bake for about 50-60 minutes until golden and dry to the touch on top; a cake tester should come out clean from its centre.
- Remove the gluten free ricotta cake to a wire rack to cool.
For the mascarpone and blood orange topping
- Beat together the cream and icing sugar in a large mixing bowl until stiffly peaked.
- Add the mascarpone and continue to beat until the mixture is thick. Cover and chill until needed.
- Remove the skin and pith from the blood oranges with a sharp knife.
- Cut the oranges into slices.
- Turn out the cake from its tin.
- Spread the mascarpone cream on top and layer the blood oranges slices on top.
- Cut into slices with a warm, wet knife.