ShareFacebook Twitter AddThis
Cotillons are a French dessert speciality with a sponge cake base, jelly and vanilla custard, to serve on spoons. Follow the recipe, try to prepare it!
- Preparation time
- Cooking time
- Recipe category Dessert
- Recipe yield 8
- Recipe cuisine French
For the sponge
- Spray 4 small moulds 8 cm in diameter with cooking spray.
- Separate the eggs. Beat the eggs whites with the sugar until they form stiff peaks.
- Mix the flour with the ground almonds, cocoa and cornflour and fold into the beaten egg whites with the egg yolks, adding alternate amounts of dry ingredients and egg yolk.
- Spread on a baking tray lined with baking parchment, so that you will be able to cut out 4 circles 8 cm in diameter when the sponge is baked.
- Bake in an oven preheated to 200°C (180° fan) | 400F | gas 6 for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, turn on to a cooling rack, remove the baking parchment and leave to cool.
- Then cut out four circles and sprinkle with kirsch.
For the jelly
- Soak the gelatine in cold water. Warm the cherry juice, squeeze out the gelatine and dissolve in the warm juice.
- Pour into the prepared moulds and chill until the jelly sets.
For the custard
- Scrape the seeds out of the vanilla pod, put into a pan with the milk and the pod and bring to the boil. Remove from the heat.
- Beat the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl until creamy, adding the flour at the same time.
- Slowly stir the warm milk into the egg yolk mixture then pour everything back into the pan.
- Remove the vanilla pod and beat over a low heat until the custard thickens.
- Do not let it boil!
- Leave to cool until the custard begins to set, then pour on top of the jelly in the moulds and place a circle of sponge on top.
- Press lightly and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Turn out of the moulds and serve garnished with redcurrants and chocolate curls.