ShareFacebook Twitter AddThis
Just follow the simple steps below to prepare a delicious poppyseed strudel with orange crust: it's a special treat for the Christmas holidays!
For the filling
For the dough
- Milk 175 ml, whole
- Water 110 ml
- Yeast 2 1/4 tsp, dried, active
- Chia seeds 2 tbsp, ground
- Psyllium husk 2 tbsp, ground
- Butter 4 tbsp, melted
- Cider vinegar 1 tbsp
- Flour 350 g (gluten free) plus extra for dusting
- Sugar 2 tbsp, caster
- Baking powder 1 1/2 tsp gluten-free
- Bicarbonate of soda 1/2 tsp
- Xanthan gum 1/2 tsp
- Salt 1/4 tsp
- Preparation time
- Cooking time
- Recipe category Dessert
- Recipe yield 8
For the Christmas poppyseed strudel filling
- Mix together the ground poppy seeds, breadcrumbs, walnuts, orange juice and zest, vanilla, and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- Heat the sugar and milk in a saucepan, bring to the boil, and then add to the poppy seed mixture.
- Mix very well before leaving to cool completely to one side.
For the dough
- Heat together the milk and water in a saucepan until lukewarm.
- Whisk in the yeast and leave to stand for 10 minutes until frothy.
- Add the chia seeds, psyllium, butter, and vinegar. Whisk well and set aside to thicken a little.
- Whisk together the remaining dry ingredients. Add the wet ingredients and mix with your hands to a dough.
- Roll out on a lightly floured surface between two sheets of greaseproof paper into a large rectangle-about 1.25 cm | 0.5" thick.
- Spread the filling on the dough, leaving a 2.5 cm | 1" border all the way around.
- Roll up and and place on a large baking tray lined with greaseproof paper.
- Cover loosely with a damp tea towel and leave to prove in warm place for 1 hour.
- After proving, preheat the oven to 180°C (160° fan) gas 4.
- Bake for about 40 minutes until the dough is golden and cooked through.
- Cool on the baking tray for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Sift the icing sugar into a bowl and beat in just enough hot water until the mixture is smooth and pourable.
- Pour over the poppyseed strudel and sprinkle with chopped candied orange peel. Leave to set before slicing and serving.