ShareFacebook Twitter AddThis
A step by step guide for making mooncake, a traditional Chinese dessert typically eaten during the Mid-Autumn Festival for good luck.
For the dough
For the filling
For the egg wash
- Preparation time
- Cooking time
- Recipe category Dessert
- Recipe yield 8
- Recipe cuisine Chinese
Mooncake recipe is a traditional Chinese dessert, usually eaten during the Mid-Autumn Festival.
Mooncake recipe: Preparing The Dough
1. To prepare the Chinese mooncake dough use a large bowl, mix the golden syrup, alkaline water and oil well.
2. Sift in the flour. Use a spatula to combine all the ingredients. Don’t over–stir.
3. Knead into a dough. Cover with film wrap and rest for 40 minutes.
4. Mix egg yolks with wine. If the salted egg yolks are homemade and freshly broken from the shells, you’ll see the egg whites turn opaque after mixing with the wine a few minutes later.
5. Wipe the yolks dry with kitchen paper. Cut each into two halves. Set aside. Roll the lotus paste into a long tube.
6. Cut into 12 equal portions of 35 grams.
7. Roll each portion into a ball shape. Set aside and preheat the oven to 180°C.
Mooncake recipe: For the Egg Wash
Whisk the egg yolk with the egg white. Sift through a fine sieve.
Mooncake recipe: Making The Filling
1. Divide the dough into 12 equal portions. Roll each portion into a small ball shape.
2. Cover a dough portion with a plastic film and roll into a thin disc. Then take a lotus paste ball and poke a hole in the middle with your finger.
3. Place the egg yolk inside and roll and shape into a ball. Wrap and seal the lotus paste ball with the dough disc.
4. Spray the mooncake mould and place the stuffed mooncake into the mould. Lightly press the mould handle, then remove the mooncake from the mould. Transfer the stuffed mooncake onto a lined baking tray. Repeat this step to finish the remaining dough and lotus paste.
5. Bake in the preheated oven for about 10 to 12 minutes. Brush the mooncakes with egg wash, at about five minutes, before removing from the oven. Continue to bake until the pastry turns golden brown.
6. Remove from oven and leave to cool on a wire rack. Store in an air–tight container. The pastry will become soft and shiny in one or two days: the mooncake recipe is ready to be enjoyed.