For Soy Caramel
Reduce Mirin until syrup , mix in soy and miso . Season with grated ginger and kinome leaf .
1)Measure out all liquid ingredients , bring to 80 degrees with kombu and hold for 2 minutes
2) Close the heat and stir in the bonito flakes(katsuobushi ) leave to steep for 1 minute and strain .
For Pickling Vinegar
1)Measure out everything except kombu .
2)Bring liquid to boil , cool it down and steep in the kombu .
For Fruit Marinade
1) Measure out all the liquid and fruits .
2) Blend everything in a blender until smooth , reserve .
For Duck Meatball .
1)Leave the meat in the freezer and once cold , chop the duck meat until it is fine mince .
2) Brunoise the shallots , grate the ginger and garlic , slice the chives , foie gras and reserve .
3) Chop the duck fat from the leg and render slowly until crispy . Discard the oil and reserve the crispy duck fat .
4) Mix the duck meat , crispy duck fat , chive , shallot , foie gras , ginger , garlic and fruit marinade with a sprinkle of active to combine, reserve for 2 hours.
5) Weight out 20g ball and shape them.
6) Sear on the pan and finish on the binchotan, from time to time, brush it with fruit marinade .
For Duck Jus
1)Brown the bones and vegetables in the oven at 200 degrees for 25 minutes fan speed 5.
2) Place the browned bones and vegetable in a pressure cooker.
3) Deglaze the fond from the tray with the port wine and add into the pressure cooker
4) Cook the tomato paste out until it's dry and sweet.
5) Fill the pressure cooker with water just enough to cover the bones and add thyme, bay leaf and the black peppercorn.
6) Extract the flavour in the pressure cooker for 2 hours.
7) Strain and slowly reduce the sauce until its syrup consistency.
8)Reduce mandarin jus and add into the duck jus.
For Duck Broth
1) Brown the bones without the vegetables.
2) In a pot add the vegetables, browned bones, kaffir lime leaf, bay leaf, black peppercorns and dashi.
3) Simmer the broth gently for 3 hours.
4)strain the duck broth and season to taste with salt, black pepper and white kombu.
5)Clarify the duck broth with egg clarification method.
For Carrot Puree
1)Cut the carrot into small even shape.
2)Bake the carrot in the oven with some butter covered with aluminium foil for 30 minutes at 200 degrees.
3)Place the half-cooked carrot with butter in a pot and cooked with cream till fully soft and cream reduce.
4) Blend the carrot with salt and sansho powder as a seasoning . Reserve.
For Duck Hearts
1) Brine the duck hearts with 5% salt brine for 20 minutes to remove the blood.
2)Marinade the duck hearts in fruit marinade for 1 hour.
3) Grilled the duck hearts on skewers on binchotan until its pink in centre.
4)chop some garlic and fry until crispy at 150 degrees
5)Sprinkle chop chive and crispy garlic.
For Pickle Cucumber
1) slice Japanese cucumber in a mandolin.
2) Use a ring cutter to punch some rounds.
3) Pour pickling vinegar over on Japanese cucumber, let it sit for 30 minutes and reserve.
For Roast Duck
1) Debone the duck, reserving on the breast on the bone.
2 ) Score the skin of the duck breast to ease the rendering process and crisp up the skin.
3)Render the duck, breast side down on the pan slowly.
4) When the skin is fully rendered, let the duck rest.
5) Just before serving, place the duck in the oven until warm and finish the duck on the binchotan, brushing the skin with the soy caramel.
6)Carve the breast out and slice into portions.
1) Heat up duck jus, duck broth, and carrot puree in sauce pot.
2) Lay out pickle cucumber and herbs onto tray.
3)Start assembling and warm up the wooden tray with plate, side plate, sauce pot and soup bowl.
4)Grill the duck hearts and duck meatball on the binchotan and assemble cold garnish on the meatball. reserve hot.
5) Start carving the roasted duck and finish final seasoning.
6) Dress the main plate with the carrot puree, duck meatball and the roasted duck.
7) Pour the duck jus on the sauce pot, meant to be sauced in front of the judges to keep the sauce nice and hot.
8) heat the duck broth and pour into the soup bowl and close the lid to capture the aroma.
9)Place the duck hearts on the side plate.
10 ) Place every component on the wooden tray and serve