ShareFacebook Twitter AddThis
These tender watercress scones made with Cheddar and Parmesan are a tasty vegetarian recipe perfect for a yummy brunch.
- Preparation time
- Cooking time
- Recipe category Brunch
- Recipe yield 8
How to make watercress scones
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (170° fan) gas 5.
- Grease and line a large baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- Combine the flour, salt, and baking powder in a large mixing bowl, stirring to mix.
- Add the butter and rub into the flour with your fingertips until the mixture resembles rough breadcrumbs.
- Stir in half of the Cheddar as well as the Parmesan and chopped watercress.
- Briefly whisk together the eggs, milk, and mustard in a measuring jug.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until you have a sticky dough.
- Turn out the dough onto a floured surface and pat down into a 2 cm | 0.75" thick round.
- Use a round or hexagonal cutter to stamp out 12 rounds of dough.
- Lift them onto the baking tray, spacing them out.
- Sprinkle the remaining Cheddar on top of each scone before baking for 20-25 minutes until golden-brown on top and risen.
- Remove to a wire rack to cool.
- Serve the watercress scones warm or at room temperature.