ShareFacebook Twitter AddThis
Looking for new sandwich ideas? Try an easy muffuletta sandwich recipe, a traditional dish from New Orleans prepared with salami, mortadella and pickled onions.
- Onion 100 g, pickled silverskin, drained and halved, reserving 2-3 tbsp of the liquor
- Wine vinegar 2 - 3 tbsp, white
- Olive oil 2 - 3 tbsp
- Pepper 2 red, diced
- Olive 200 g, black and green (pitted), chopped
- Celeriac 100 g, cut into batons
- Carrot 2, cut into batons
- Oregano 2 tbsp, freshly chopped
- Loaf 1 large, round white, with sesame seeds
- Salami 150g, in slices
- Provolone 150 g, in slices
- Mortadella 150 g, in slices
- Preparation time
- Cooking time
- Recipe category Brunch
- Recipe yield 8
- Recipe cuisine American
How to make Muffuletta Sandwich recipe
To prepare muffuletta sandwich, a classic recipe from New Orleans, in a pan first warm the reserved pickling liquor, the vinegar, 2 tbsp water, a pinch of sugar and 2 tbsp oil.
Put the peppers, olives, celeriac, carrots and onions in a bowl.
Pour over the hot liquid, season with salt and ground black pepper and leave to cool.
Stir in the oregano and check the seasoning.
Cut the loaf in half horizontally and brush the cut surfaces with a little oil.
Top with the salami slices and then half of the vegetable salad (without liquid).
Place the cheese and mortadella on top and finish with the remaining salad.
Replace the top half of the loaf, wrap in cling film and put in the refrigerator for around 30 minutes for the flavours to soak into the bread.
Cut the muffuletta sandwich into wedges and serve.