ShareFacebook Twitter AddThis
Looking for a flavorful gluten free brunch recipe? Here is how to prepare a delicious cornbread made with spinach and bacon.
- Preparation time
- Cooking time
- Recipe category Brunch
- Recipe yield 8
How to Make a tasty Spinach and Bacon Cornbread
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160° fan) | gas 4.
- Grease and line the base and sides of a 900 g | 2 lb loaf tin with greaseproof paper.
- Place the pancetta in a dry frying pan and cook over a moderate heat until the fat has rendered and the pancetta is golden-brown, about 6-7 minutes.
- Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon to a bowl.
- Add the spinach to the pan with a pinch of salt. Cover and cook over a reduced heat until wilted, about 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the spinach from the pan to a colander, pressing it against the sides to extract as much water as possible.
- Roughly chop and stir into the pancetta.
- Stir together the gluten free flour mix, corn meal, xanthan gum, sugar, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Beat together the eggs, buttermilk, and melted butter in a measuring jug.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir to combine; the batter shouldn't be totally smooth.
- Fold in the pancetta and spinach mixture.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared tin.
- Bake for about 1 hour until risen and dry to the touch on top; a cake tester should come out clean from the centre.
- Remove to a wire rack to cool in the tin.
- Once cool, turn out the cornbread and serve in slices with soft butter.