ShareFacebook Twitter AddThis
Roasted pumpkin soup with pear recipe, an American classic Halloween and Thanksgiving appetizer by the foodblogger Laurel Evans
- Pear 2 each, peeled and ripe, quartered, cored
- Pumpkin 900 g (or butternut squash) peeled, seeded, cut in 5 cm chunks
- Tomato 2 each, medium, cored, quartered (optional)
- Onion 1 red, peeled, quartered
- Garlic 2 cloves, crushed
- Olive oil 30 ml
- Salt 2,5 g, divided
- Pepper To taste, ground
- Vegetable broth 1 l
- Chive 3,15 g (or scallions), thinly sliced
- Fresh cream 80 ml
- Preparation time
- Cooking time
- Recipe category Appetizer
- Recipe yield 6
- Recipe cuisine American
Preheat oven to 205°C - 400° F.
Combine pears, squash, tomatoes, leek, garlic, oil, 1,25 g salt and pepper in a large bowl and toss to coat.
Spread evenly on a rimmed baking sheet.
Roast, stirring occasionally, until the veggies are tender (40-55 minutes).
Let cool slightly.
Puree the veggies and broth until smooth, either with a handheld blender (easiest) or in a blender (you will have to split into 2 portions- half the veggies and half the broth blended, then blend the other half).
Add to soup pot, add the rest of the salt, and stir in the cream.
Cook the soup over med-low heat, stirring, until hot, about 10 minutes.
Divide among 6 bowls and garnish with chives.