ShareFacebook Twitter AddThis
Baked mussels will delight your tastebuds: in this mussel recipe tender mussels are mixed with herbs and parmesan cheese and baked until golden.
- Preparation time
- Recipe category Appetizer
- Recipe yield 4
- Recipe cuisine Italian
How to make Baked Mussels, an Easy Recipe From Italy
To prepare baked mussels:
1. Start by heating the oven to 200°C /180°C fan, gas mark 6.
2. Scrub the mussels well with a small metal brush and wash under running water.
3. Put into a large pan and cover with water, put a lid on the pan and bring to a boil over high heat. Cook until the mussels open (throw away any that do not open).
4. Drain (keep 1 cup of the cooking water and drain to remove any impurities), then remove the empty halves of the shells and place the halves containing the mussels on a baking tray.
5. Wash the parsley, shake dry, and chop finely.
6. Heat 45 ml of extra-virgin olive oil in a frying pan and fry the breadcrumbs, stirring, until golden brown.
7. Mix together the parsley, chilli, breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, garlic, 30 ml of extra-virgin olive oil and the mussel water until you have a moist mixture that holds together. Season with salt and pepper.
8. Place a little of the mixture on top of each mussel and press down slightly. Put the baking tray into the preheated oven for about 2 minutes, until the gratin topping is nicely browned. Serve the baked mussels hot.
Wine pairing: Fiano di Puglia