ShareFacebook Twitter AddThis
An authentic feta cheese recipe from Greece: learn how to make Bouyourdi, an easy but tasty dish. Discover the ingredients and how to prepare it!
- Tomato 1 large vine-ripened
- Feta cheese 300 g (4 slices)
- Green bell pepper 1 medium, sliced into thin rings
- Jalapeño pepper 1, seeded and finely chopped, or a few pinches Maras pepper or crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- Olive oil 120 ml
- Oregano 1 tablespoon, from Greece
- Bread Thick slices of fresh, crusty bread (optional)
- Recipe category Appetizer
- Recipe yield 4
- Recipe cuisine Greek
HOW TO MAKE GREEK BOUYOURDI
Bouyourdi hardly needs a recipe. One or two slices of good tomato, a lavish slice of feta cheese and pieces of bell and hot pepper are doused with olive oil, generously sprinkled with oregano, and grilled in a very hot oven. Bouyourdi is brought to the table directly from the oven, often in individual clay pots, and enjoyed with plenty of fresh crusty bread to sop up the scrumptious oil. Although served as a meze in Greece, it can also be a wonderful breakfast or brunch dish for the whole family.
Preheat the oven to 430˚F (220°C).
How to make Greek Bouyourdi step by step
1. Spread a double layer of paper towels on a large dish.
2. Core the tomato carefully, slice horizontally into 5 to 6 pieces, and spread them on the paper to drain.
3. Oil a shallow 8- or 9-inch (20- or 23-cm) baking dish, or four individual ramekins, and spread the tomato slices at the bottom, reserving 4 nice slices for the top.
4. Sprinkle with some jalapeño and bell pepper slices.
5. Arrange the feta pieces on top, place one tomato slice on each piece of cheese, and finally place 2 or 3 bell pepper rings on the tomato.
6. Drizzle liberally with olive oil, sprinkle with oregano and the remaining jalapeño, and transfer to the middle of the oven.
7. Bake for 15 minutes, or until the feta turns a light-golden color and the oil is sizzling.
8. Serve immediately with warm bread, if you like.