ShareFacebook Twitter AddThis
Here is how to prepare beef gyoza, the popular juicy Japanese dumplings crispy on the outside, filled with minced beef, onions, garlic and spices.
For the dough
For the filling
For the dipping sauce
- Preparation time
- Cooking time
- Recipe category Appetizer
- Recipe yield 8
How to make delicious beef gyoza
- Sift the flour into a large bowl and add the boiling water and salt.
- Mix with chopsticks, adding a little more water as you go, then when the mixture is cool enough, mix with your hands until you have a smooth dough.
- Knead the dough on a floured surface until smooth then place in a clean bowl, cover with a cloth and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Mix all the ingredients for the filling together, stirring in one direction only.
- Mix together the ingredients for the dipping sauce and set aside.
- Turn the dough onto a floured board, knead until smooth then divide into two pieces.
- Roll each piece into a cylinder about 2.5cm / 1" diameter and cut each cylinder into 12 pieces.
- Take each piece, roll it thinly and cut into a circle about 6cm / 2 1/2" diameter.
- Place a little of the filling in the centre of the circle and moisten the rim of the dough with a little water.
- Bring the sides of the dough together and seal, taking care not to split the dough.
- Gently crimp the sealed dough with your fingers and set aside.
- Repeat with the rest of the dough and the filling.
- Heat two tablespoons of the vegetable oil in a wide pan and fry the dumplings on their flat bases for 3-4 minutes.
- Add a small cup of water, place a lid on the pan and steam the dumplings for 2-3 minutes or until the filling is cooked through.
- Carefully remove the beef gyoza dumplings from the pan and serve immediately with the dipping sauce alongside.