ShareFacebook Twitter AddThis
As the summer starts to fade we reminisce on some of the food and drink trends that became Instagram hits in 2016, and take a look through rose tinted glasses at the good, the not so good and the forgettable. From coffee in a cone to sushi donuts, we'll let you be the judge, was it just summer madness or are they here to stay? ...
Let us know your thoughts on Facebook.
12 Food and Drink Instagram Summer Trends
First up is sushi, which had it's moments of re-invention and artistic interpretation in the summer sun.
1. Mosaic Sushi got instagrammers excited across Japan and made lunchtime a veritable feast for the eyes. Perfectly jigsawed together with appealing shapes and colours turned out sushi was the ideal building block of a perfectly packed lunch.
2. Still on a theme, Sushi Donuts swept across instagram re-inventing sushi rice into rings with selected toppings.
Sushi Donut Dreamin' 🦄 #vegantA photo posted by SAM (@sobeautifullyraw) on
3. Still talking donuts, they became the must have Wedding cake artistically attached artistically to the 'donut wall' ... "I do".
4. Whilst avocados got a bad press for deforestation, on instagram they came up smelling of roses, with the pristine looking Avocado Rose.
🌹 the good kind of fat! High fat, low fat - good fat, bad fat?! Ahh 😱 Dietary fat is essential for hormone production and helps to keep you full. It also makes up the membrane of EVERY CELL in body and is needed for proper brain functioning! Don't be scared of fat or fall for the low fat hype! Ps I'd take an avocado rose over a real one any day! 🌹 • 📷: @secretsquirrelfood
6. Croissants were stuffed and got an upgrade that went from red velvet to black truffle.
Truffle season is nearly over but we got our hands on some of the last truffles around to make our famous truffle croissant with black truffle custard and freshly shaved truffle one last time, this weekend! We'll make plenty, but we expect them to fly out the door, so get in quick!! #textbookpatisserie #truffle #croissant #decadence #foodporn #pastry 📷 by @eliseaki
7. Coffee lovers had to drink their cup of joe against the clock in the hazardous 'coffee in a cone craze.'
It's a Coffee In a Cone™ kind of day. 📷: @thejoburgfoodie #coffeeinacone #thegrindza #melrosearch #coffeewithfriends #coffeetime #rainyday #coffee #coffeeporn #manmakecoffee #alternativebrewing #baristalife #baristadaily #jozi #picoftheday #bestpic #coffeeholic #coffeebreak #winteriscoming #coffeecoffee
8. Blue Monday was made all the more poignant with Blue Smurf Lattes becoming the 'it' vegan drink.
9. For those finding summer too hot to handle help was at hand with rosé turned into an alcoholic slushie.
10. The Raindrop/Water cake promised us a low calorie dessert experience. For many it led to an unsatisfying yet snappable dessert.
11. Instagram went through the colours of the rainbow when it came to coffee, bagels, toasties and even sushi was multicolour.
12. Gold coated ice-cream was the gelato bling that arrived in Japan.