ShareFacebook Twitter AddThis
Welcome to our #FDLMoment series where we show you our favourite photos on Instagram by you, capturing food moments from around the world that inspire and get us excited about all things delicious.
Everyone jumped on the donut bandwagon last week, and while we would say yes to fried dough rings covered in sugar any day of the year, June 7 was officially #nationaldonutday (or, if you prefer, #nationaldoughnutday).
It all seemed like another excuse to nab free donuts at the local bakery or to gorge on them like it was #cheatday. But here’s some trivia for you: did yu know that National Donut Day goes way back to 1938 and was originally started by The Salvation Army in Chicago as a fundraiser effort? The aim was to help those in need during the Great Depression and to honour those members of The Salvation Army during World War I who served donuts to soldiers. These Salvation Army volunteers at the time were known as “Doughnut Girls”, or “Doughnut Dollies”. So, it turns out that not all food holidays are made the same after all.
In other Insta-news, #avocado is still going strong (that’s 9.8 million posts) which probably means that our love for the creamy green berry isn’t fading by any means (and in case you didn’t know this, avocado is a berry, botanically speaking). On that note we have a great avocado chocolate mousse recipe for you to try on our blog. All natural, no cook, make ahead and absolutely no-fuss, this is the recipe made for summer evenings.
Finally, moving on to #FDLMoment: there is fried pizza, churros in Madrid, contemporary French fine dining in Hong Kong, Greek donuts in Boston, Mexican food in Milan and a few other irresistible things, like, brunch.
Keep them coming and remember to tag your best foodie pics with #FDLMoment to be featured next.
#FDLMoment Best Pics
1. @junkfoodman shows off a raw and pickled composition of parsnip, beetroot, mushrooms truffle onion, squid ink and citrus gel
2. This pizza fritta (fried pizza) looks like the real thing in Naples! Taken at Theo's Pizzeria in London by @mamamimosaldn
3. An exquisite dish from @restaurantvendel, a restaurant in Veenendaal, the Netherlands
4. @the_s_rating went to Madrid for some authentic churros
5. The French fine dining restaurant Gaddi’s at @peninsulahongkong has a new head chef and his new menu looks stunning
6. Almost every culture has their own version of sweet fried dough, and in Greece they're called loukoumades. By @salonikigreek
7. Brunch is always a good idea. By @newhungrycity
8. @caposouthbos knows a thing or two about pasta
9. @larusetterem takes grilled cheese to another level with this toasted brioche
10. Mexican food is a bit of rarity in Milan, and this one found by @mariarsariabruno has got our attention