Blog

News & Trends

One of The World's Best Chefs Fined $1.3m for Metal Wire in Customer's Coq au Vin

By FDL on

Share
Facebook Twitter ShareAddThis
One of The World's Best Chefs Fined $1.3m for Metal Wire in Customer's Coq au Vin

Daniel Boulud has been fined $1.3 million after a customer was left needing surgery from eating a bowl of coq au vin at his DB Bistro Moderne in Manhattan.

A jury in New York found the restaurant negligent for causing injuries to the claimant, Barry Brett. Brett was dining at Boulud’s restaurant in February 2015 when he shortly after eating he felt something lodged inside his throat.

The surgeon who examined Brett said he found a 2.5cm wire inside his throat which most likely came from a wire brush for cleaning, The Guardian reports.

Brett received $300,000 while a further $1 million was added in punitive damages. The restaurant has declined to comment on the matter but the New York Post said one staff member said they planned to appeal the ruling.

It’s certainly not the first and won’t be the last time a customer has sued a chef or restaurant. Below are some of our personal favourites.

In 2010 a Miami doctor, Arturo Carvajal, sued the Houston’s restaurant after he said he was hospitalised for trying to eat an entire grilled artichoke. Carvajal argued he did not know he was not supposed to consume the centre of the vegetable and that someone should have told him.

In 2009 Kevin Andrews unsuccessful tried to sue Michelin starred chef Michel Roux after he said he was kept awake all night by the sound of the heating inside one of Roux’s cottage rooms.

Tags
Comments
Register or login to Leave a Comment.