ShareFacebook Twitter AddThis
The World Street Food Congress 2017 recently took place (31 May to 4 June) in Manila, Philippines, bringing together some of the most interesting and tastiest street food from around the world.
From the event, now in its fifth year, a list of the Top 50 World Street Food Masters has been drawn up by a panel of writers, commentators, and food professionals, and it's Asia that dominates.
Topping the list is Hill Street Tai Hwa Pork Noodle, which gained a star in the inaugural Michelin Guide to Singapore, where "The sambal and black vinegar laced pork noodle is the stuff addiction is made of."
In second place is Franklin's BBQ in Austin, Texas, often described as the best BBQ in the world (Anthony Bourdain's a fan). Franklin's is one of only four restaurants outside of Asia on the list, along with La Guerrerense (8) and Mariscos Reuben in Mexico (20), and Churros Locos Portland (41) in the US. Some may feel Central and South America is criminally undrepresented here.
Of course, given the sheer number of street food vendors across the globe it's nigh impossible to declare anything 'the best,' but this should serve as a useful resource for your next trip.
See the top 10 below and the full list here.
Top 10 World Street Food 'Masters'
1. Hill Street Tai Hwa Pork Noodle, Singapore
2. Franklin's BBQ, Austin, Texas
3. Che Paek Pu Ob Voon Sen, Bangkok
4. Aling Lucing Sisig, Pampanga, Philippines
5. Pak Sadi Soto Ambengan, Jakarta, Indonesia
6. Datau Roast Goose, Shunde, Guangzhou, China
7. General’s Lechon, Manila, Philippines
8. La Guerrerense, Oaxaca Mexico
9. Line Clear Nasi Kandar, Penang, Malaysia
10. Chey Sua Fried Carrot Cake, Singapore