ShareFacebook Twitter AddThis
Chef-patron Stephen Harris is no stranger to the spotlight having turned the "grotty seaside pub" (his words) into a destination diner since taking it on in 1999. He has also topped the UK's Best Restaurant List for two consecutive years and held a Michelin star since 2008. The self-taught chef champions local ingredients with dishes like "Poached Rock Oysters with Pickled Cucumber and Avruga Caviar" (above) and "Slip Sole Grilled in Seaweed Butter" appearing on the a la carte menu.
What are gastropubs?
Nicholas Robinson, editor of the Estrella Damm Top 50 Gastropubs, describes gastropubs as "unique for many reasons, mainly because they blur the lines between pubs and restaurants, yet maintain the charm and atmosphere of a traditional pub. They are amazing spaces that thrive as a result of the genius of the chefs in the kitchens and the managers who work hard at the front of the pub."
10 Best Gastropubs in the UK
For the full list click here.
1. The Sportsman, Whitstable, Kent
2. The Pony and Trap - Chew Magna, Bristol
3. The Star Inn, Harome, York
4. Freemasons at Wiswell, Clitheroe, Lancashire
5. The Coach, Marlow, Buckinghamshire
6. The Drapers Arms, Islington, London
7. The Beehive, Maidenhead, Berkshire
8. Parkers Arms, Clitheroe, Lancashire
9. The Hardwick, Abergavenny, Wales
10. The Marksman, Hackney, London