ShareFacebook Twitter AddThis
Traditional Christmas eggnog is prepared with eggs, milk and/or cream and sugar as a base. These simple ingredients result in a silky, creamy, comforting beverage perfect for the holiday.
So what's the secret to making the best Christmas eggnog? It all boils down to tempering, a technique that involves adding hot liquid to an egg mixture while stirring vigorously. The idea is to warm up the egg base without turning it into scrambled eggs.
If you've ever made custard or ice cream you may be familiar with this technique. Let's take a closer look at how to temper eggs properly and make the best Christmas eggnog.
How To Make Christmas Eggnog: The Fail-proof Technique
Here are the steps involved in making a traditional Christmas eggnog (for exact recipes scroll down):
- Place the milk and spices into a saucepan.
- Slowly bring milk to a boil.
- Meanwhile whisk egg yolks and sugar in a metal or glass bowl.
- Turn the heat off once the milk reaches a boil.
- Slowly, by the ladle full, add the hot milk into the bowl with the eggs yolks while whisking furiously.
- Pour the mixture back into the saucepan.
- Whisk it constantly while it cooks over medium-low heat. The idea is to thicken the sauce, which should take just a couple of minutes.
- Dip a spoon into the mixture, if the liquid coats the back of the spoon then it has thickened enough. Remove the the heat immediately.
- Add vanilla extract and whisk well. Remove any whole spices and allow to cool.
If you'd like to spike your homemade Christmas eggnog this would be the time to do so.
That's it! Once it has cooled down just place your homemade Christmas eggnog into the fridge and serve with a sprinkle of ground cinnamon or nutmeg.
Homemade Christmas Eggnog Recipes
Six ingredients are all you'll need to prepare this delicious homemade Christmas eggnog laced with brandy and served with blackberries.
Egg-free Homemade Christmas Eggnog
This egg-free Christmas eggnog recipe calls for the addition of lemon juice and advocaat, a popular Dutch liquor.
Homemade Vegan Christmas Eggnog Recipes
If you want to enjoy eggnog but would rather skip the dairy then we've got you covered. We have found vegan Christmas eggnog recipes made with quality ingredients like cashews, coconut milk, dates and vanilla pudding.
An Alternative To Traditional Christmas Eggnog
This Christmas if you'd like to try something different why not prepare a batch of coquito, this Puerto Rican coconut eggnog is the perfect way to toast to the holiday season.