ShareFacebook Twitter AddThis
Candied orange slices are a sublime treat. Tangy yet sweet, their flavor and aroma adds flair to recipes. They are absolutely irresistible when dipped in chocolate and also make a nice hostess gift. So why not prepare them at home?
Admittedly, making candied orange slices is an elaborate process not for the faint of heart. However, if you are a curious foodie searching for a new skill to master we encourage you to make candied orange slices at home.
Ready to take on the mission? Discover the coveted French recipe for glacee orange below.
THE INGREDIENTS YOU'LL NEED
Here are the ingredients for twenty candied mandarins:
- 20 organic mandarin oranges
- 1.2 kg of sugar (5 1/4 cup) + 8 tsp.
- 1 pinch of baking soda
- 375 ml (13 oz) of water
CANDIED ORANGE SLICES: THE MASTER RECIPE
The whole process of making candied orange slices takes about a week but the results are stunning and well worth it. We've divided the process in batches to make it easier for you:
How to Prep the Oranges
- Start by removing the leaves and stems of the mandarin oranges
- Wash the oranges thoroughly and slice them into rounds no thicker than a 1/8 inch (0.3 cm)
- Place the fruits in a large salad bowl and cover with cold water
- Change out the water twice a day for two days to remove the bitterness
How To Cook the Oranges
- Bring 2 liters of water to a boil in a large pot
- Add baking soda and the oranges
- Bring to a boil then cook for exactly 8 minutes
- Drain the mandarins
- Immerse the fruits in an ice water bath for 5 minutes
- Dry and place the tangerines in a large shallow pan
- In a separate saucepan, melt the sugar in 375 ml of water
- Boil for 1 minute
- Pour the syrup over the pan with the tangerines
- Bring the pan with the fruit to a boil then let it boil for another 6 minutes
- Remove from heat and cover with a plate and let steep for 24 hours in a cool place
After 24 Hours...
- Drain the clementines and preserve the juice
- Placed the preserved juice in a saucepan and bring to a boil for 2 minutes
- Add 2 tbsp. sugar and drop the mandarins
- Keep boiling for 8 minutes
- Turn off the heat and cover with a plate then allow to cool
- Steep for 24 hours
- Repeat this operation once a day for 3 days
After 3 Days...
- Drain the mandarins one last time and put them on a drying rack
- Let them dry in a dry place for 48 hours
The candied orange slices are now ready to eat! If you do not eat them right away, you can store them in an airtight box. Be sure to separate the slices of fruit with parchment paper.