ShareFacebook Twitter AddThis
It's grape harvest time so we were thrilled when we stumbled upon these 50 Wine Facts.
The list was created by the team at Kitchen Geekery, a blog that explores the culinary world through a more scientific lens. Below you'll find 10 randomly selected wine facts but for the full list, check out the Kitchen Geekery blog:
1. Women are better wine tasters than men. That's because women, particularly those of reproductive ages, have a better sense of smell than men.
2. A ''cork-tease'' is someone who constantly talks about the wine he or she will open but never does.
3. Early Roman women were forbidden to drink wine, and a husband who found his wife drinking was at liberty to kill her.
4. The worst place to store wine is usually in the kitchen because it is typically too warm.
5. One ton of grapes produce about 60 cases of wine, or about 720 bottles.
6. Grapes are the only fruit that are capable of producing the proper nutrition for the yeast on its skin and sugar in its juice to ferment naturally.
7. Red wine represents 55% of restaurant wine sales.
8. Oenophobia is an intense fear or hatred of wine.
9. European wines are named for their geographic locatons (i.e. Bordeaux) while non-European wines are named after different grape varieties (i.e. Merlot).
10. In ancient Greece, a dinner host would take the first sip of wine to assure guests the wine was not poisoned, hence the phrase ''drinking to one's health.''