The Daily Meal has released its annual list of the 101 best pizzas in America and it’s one of the country’s most revered pies that has taken the number one spot.
The 'White Clam' – clams, garlic, olive oil, oregano, and Parmigiano-Reggiano – at Frank Pepe’s in Connecticut topped the list back in 2015 and is back at the top this year. Following close behind is a simple 'Boom Pie' of over roasted tomatoes, basil and garlic at John’s of Bleeker Street in New York City, while in third place is the 'Italian Bomb,' a meat-heavy, thin crust number at Modern Apizza in New Haven, Connecticut (the birthplace of Frank Pepe’s – what a choice New Haveners have, eh!)
Overall the top five states for pizza are New York (35), Illinois (12), California (10), Connecticut (8), and New Jersey (6).
56 pizza experts, including chefs, critics, writers and all round aficionados, vote for the list. See the top 10 below and the full list here.
1. White Clam (Frank Pepe, CT)
2. The Boom Pie (John’s of Bleeker Street, NY)
3. Italian Bomb (Modern Apizza, CT)
4. Kesté, (Kesté, NY) 5. Margherita (Pizzeria Bianco, NY)
6. Classic Round Pie (Di Fara, NY)
7. Chicago Classic (Lou Malnati’s, IL)
8. Tomato Pie (Sally’s Apizza, CT)
9. Vodka (Joe & Pat’s, NY)
10. Pepperoni (Lucali, NY)